Two Jeffersonville house moves scheduled | News
JEFFERSONVILLE, IN – The traffic signal at Spring and Market streets will be replaced temporarily with a four-way stop for several days to clear the way for two historic houses that are being moved next week in the Old Jeffersonville Historic District.
Residents and businesses in the district should plan for brief traffic and utility disruptions during the moves, and roads will be closed and parking prohibited along the moving routes. The Indiana Department of Transportation is coordinating with emergency services to ensure access at all times.
The historic houses are being relocated to make room for the Ohio River Bridges Project, as required under federal law to minimize impacts on historic resources. The first house was moved Wednesday, May 29, from 432 Riverside Drive to 310 Mechanic St.
Listed below are anticipated dates and routes for the remaining house moves:
Monday, June 3 - 432 Riverside Drive to 307/309 Pearl St.
- Route: Left on Riverside Drive, left on Spring Street, left on Market Street, right on Pearl Street.
Thursday, June 6 - 502 Riverside Drive to 411 W. Market St.
- Route: Left on Riverside Drive, left on Spring Street, left on Market Street, right on Pearl Street, left on Chestnut Street, left on Mulberry Street, right on Market Street.
Wednesday, June 12 - 115 Fort St. to 411 E. Maple St.
- Route: Left on Riverside Drive, left on Locust Street, right on Maple Street.
Wednesday, June 19 - 116 Fort St. to 626 E. 7th St
- Route: Left on Riverside Drive, left on Locust Street, right on Chestnut Street, left on Meigs Avenue, right on Court Avenue, left on Mechanic Street.
The five homes were identified as contributing structures to the Old Jeffersonville Historic District. Under agreements with the Federal Highway Administration, the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, the historic preservation officers of Indiana and Kentucky, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, INDOT is relocating the homes to new locations within or near the Historic District. After relocation, minor renovations will occur prior to the buildings being auctioned to new owners.
Upcoming Events near Clark County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Some school districts wait, others close, ahead of expected storm
- Driver killed in crash on Clark Memorial Bridge identified
- Crime-fighting Louisville committee still hasn't met
- Officers arrest man after unsuccessful attempt to intimidate strangers to help him flee
- Two suspects arrested in string of restaurant robberies
- Floyd County State of Emergency lifted, travel permitted
- ISP: Lockdown over at IU Southeast, armed person carrying BB gun
- Gunman reported on IU Southeast campus, students urged to seek safe shelter
- NBC spotlight to shine on WAVE Country Santa
- William Clyde Gibson given death sentence by Floyd County judge