SWAT, hazmat teams respond after person found passed out | News
JEFFERSONVILLE, IN (WAVE) – Several crews were called to the area of Clark Memorial Hospital in Jeffersonville Thursday around 8:00 p.m. after a call about a person passed out inside of a business.
Jeffersonville Police Department Detective Isaac Parker said it happened at Radio Therapy, a radiology facility in the 1300 block of Spring Street.
Det. Parker said that a worker closing up for the night inside smelled a strong odor of gasoline and discovered a man passed out inside the lobby with a can of gasoline and a lighter.
The worker called police, who decided to bring in the hazmat and SWAT teams.
Police say the suspect later woke up and took off. He was caught a short distance later.
Crews searched the business and later determined the man was alone.
Crews set up an area outside of Clark Memorial Hospital, which was not involved in the ordeal and did not go on lock down. The hospital was under normal operations the whole time, despite part of Spring Street being closed off.
The man was taken to University Hospital. From there, police say he will likely go to jail to face charges.
The scene wrapped up around 11:00 p.m.
Police are not releasing the name of the suspect at this time. It isn't clear what condition he is in at the hospital.
Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.